Traverse City, Michigan, USA – July 30, 2022 – Audrey Schulze (USA) did not need long to adjust to her new partner, Darquito. The young rider piloted the 11-year-old Hanoverian gelding, owned by Riverbrook Sport Horses LLC, to the win in Saturday morning’s $30,000 National Grand Prix, beating out top professionals and claiming top honors.
“I just got this horse last week from Andrew Bourns,” Schulze, of Saddle River, New Jersey, USA, said. “This is my first show with him. I’m really excited for the future; he’s a super horse. I’m jumping the two-star on him next week so I’m really excited [about this win].”
Marina Azevedo (BRA) set the track for 42 combinations to test in the first round of competition. As the final pair on course in the jump-off of 10, Schulze used her new mount’s large stride and careful edge to sneak past the then leader Kent Farrington (USA) with Greya, owned by Kent Farrington LLC. Schulze’s time of 40.820 seconds topped Farrington by nearly one second, securing the win and putting Farrington into second with a jump-off time of 41.760 seconds.
Third-place honors went to Mark Kinsella (IRL) and Quality H in a jump-off time of 41.910 seconds.
“We’re just a really good match,” Schulze continued about Darquito. “I get along with him well. As soon as we got to the ring I felt like I knew how to ride him and what he would like. His stride is really big and he’s got a lot of scope and quality. I’d like to jump him in some bigger classes, some three-and four-stars.”
Bourns competed Darquito up to the CSI 4* level to countless wins, including a Grand Prix CSI 2*. The pair also helped secure the gold medal in July of 2021 at the inaugural Major League Show Jumping event in Traverse City. With a 65% clear round rate at 1.45m, Darquito has plenty of scope for the national grand prix level, and that number increases to 67% when the fences are 1.55m and above. Schulze has high hopes for her future as a grand prix competitor aboard the seasoned horse.
“I’ve been coming to this show for the past four years,” Schulze commented on Traverse City Horse Shows. “It’s nice to see every year there are so many improvements and it’s fun to come back every summer.”
Final Results – $30,000 National Grand Prix
1. Audrey Schulze (USA) & Darquito / Riverbrook Sport Horses LLC – 0 / 0 – 40.820
2. Kent Farrington (USA) & Greya / Kent Farrington LLC – 0 / 0 – 41.760
3. Mark Kinsella (IRL) & Quality H / / Mark Kinsella – 0 / 0 – 41.910
4. Georgina Bloomberg (USA) & Manhattan / Gotham Enterprizes LLC – 0 / 0 – 43.109
5. Cathleen Driscoll (USA) & High Nitro / Margaret Frank / 0/4/40.422
6. McKayla Langmeier (USA) & Jiselle / Linda Langmeier – 0 / 4 – 40.769
7. Sydney Shulman Desiderio (ISR) & Nanini Van D’Abelendreef / Esperanza Imports LLC – 0 / 4 – 41.389
8. Audrey Schulze (USA) & Lord Up / Riverbrook Sport Horses LLC – 0 / 4 – 42.164
9. Kaitlyn Williams (USA) & Cassio Melloni / Kaitlyn Williams – 0 / 4 – 42.347
10. John Angus (USA) & W. Tonix Hero / Stephanie E. Angus – 0 / 4 – 43.152
11. Alejandro Leonardo Winkler (MEX) & Costa Quick PS / Alejandro Leonardo Winkler – 1 – 80.225
12. McKayla Langmeier (USA) & Darknight De Maluga / Bridget Ennevor – 2 – 81.161
Source: Press Release from Traverse City Horse Shows
Photos: © Andrew Ryback Photography