Valkenswaard, The Netherlands – July 16, 2022 – Jacob Pope (USA) fulfilled a lifelong dream Saturday afternoon, scoring his first grand prix victory in the $30,000 Traverse City National Grand Prix at Great Lakes Equestrian Festival (GLEF), presented by CaptiveOne Advisors, aboard Highway FBH. As one of ten pairs to jump clear over Bernardo Costa Cabral’s (POR) first-round track, Pope’s strategy in the jump-off paid off and he took home top honors aboard a horse he recently just met.
“This is only my third class with him,” Pope said of the 10-year-old Dutch Warmblood gelding by Plot Blue. “He’s just incredible. We got him two weeks ago and I did a 1.30m and a 1.40m, then the Grand Prix. You can just keep kicking and he keeps jumping higher. Needless to say, I’m super happy with him and pumped for the future.”
Of the ten jump-off contenders, Pope went third, so he did not know what would be required to take the win but strategized well regardless. “My strategy was to not go as fast as I possibly could but just to be tidy and clear and that seemed to be what really made it happen today,” Pope explained. “Everyone after [me] was trying to do one less in the first line or turn even tighter and ended up having rails. In the end my tidier clear track going early was a smart move.”
Several pairs were quite quick on the clock but pulled rails, awarding Pope the win as the class came to a close. Second place went to Taylor Madden (USA) with Fata Morgana di Villagana in 33.765 seconds.
Ty Simpson (USA) claimed third place with the Copperline Farm, LLC entry Maestro van de Volkaert in 34.596 seconds.
Highway FBH, owned by Team Rakowsky Equestrian LLC, has a bright future, already competing up to the CSI 4* level, and Pope looks forward to many bigger tracks and more victories to come.
A first grand prix victory isn’t the only thing the Pope family will be celebrating tonight. “It’s also my dad’s birthday so that’s exciting,” Pope continued. “He wrote to me after and said, ‘Thanks for a great birthday present.’ This is something I’ve always wanted. It’s an awesome feeling. I’m thrilled to be able to do it in such a great place. I’m so happy with the team behind us and the owners of Highway.
Final Results – $30,000 Traverse City National Grand Prix
1) Jacob Pope (USA) & Highway FBH / Team Rakowsky Equestrian LLC – 0 / 0 – 33.194
2) Taylor Madden (USA) & Fata Morgana Di Villagana /Taylor Madden – 0 / 0 – 33.765
3) Ty Simpson (USA) & Maestro Van De Volkaert / Copperline Farm LLC – 0 / 0 – 34.596
4) Sandra Dalman (USA) & Haitie / Dalman Show Jumping – 0 / 0 – 34.700
5) Tiffany Sullivan (USA) & Castelissimo / Tiffany Sullivan – 0 / 0 – 35.386
6) Cathleen Driscoll (USA) & High Nitro / Margaret Frank – 0 / 4 – 31.806
7) Shawn Casady (USA) & Sunny Boy 372 / Rabbit Root Stables LLC – 0 / 4 – 34.083
8) Hillary Johnson (USA) & Eastpoint / Hillary Johnson – 0 /4 – 37.408
9) Jamie Sailor (USA) & Fire Flash Toltien / Carolyn Mittler – 0 / 8 – 32.376
10) Jamie Sailor (USA) & Escapado S / Mountain View West Farm LLC – 0 / 8 – 33.622
11) Mavis Spencer (USA) & Contonio / Georgy Maskrey-Segesman – 4 – 70.182
12) Lisa Carlsen (CAN) & Aladin Des Brimbelles / Jenna Lee Gottschlich – 4 – 71.396
Source: Press Release from Traverse City Horse Shows
Photos: © Andrew Ryback Photography
Categories: Great Lakes Equestrian Festival, Results, USEF Rated