Traverse City, Michigan, USA – July 15, 2022 – Cathleen Driscoll (USA) continues to be impressed by the Plain Bay Sales-owned mare Magnolia. The 10-year-old Dutch Warmblood is confidently rising through the levels, and captured Friday’s $37,000 Honor Hill Farm Welcome Stake CSI 2* during week two of the Great Lakes Equestrian Festival, presented by CaptiveOne Advisors.
“This was the biggest track we’ve jumped so far and she just handled it beautifully,” Driscoll said of Magnolia. “She’s a naturally very fast horse. I didn’t have to do the leave-outs that other people might do.”
Thirty-four entries took on the first round track, set by Portugal’s Bernardo Costa Cabral. Third to go in a field of five jump-off contenders, Driscoll used the mare’s footspeed to her advantage, keeping a similar striding throughout the short course as other contenders, but taking the speed up a notch, clocking in at 35.03 seconds.
Second place on a double-clear effort went to Shawn Casady (USA) and RMF Chacco Top, owned by Ashland Farms, in a time of 36.85 seconds.
Just behind in third was Anna Wilks (CAN) and Ma Pomme De Tamerville for IN Showjumpers in 37.27 seconds.
“I’ve never had a young horse that can step up and immediately be competitive at this level,” Driscoll reflected after the mare’s second-ever FEI class. “She just blows us away every day. She was fast in the [Two Phase] yesterday, she was fast today, and she has confidence and cadence in the ring even when she’s unsure and learning this level.”
Coming off several second-place finishes, including the Welcome Stake and National Grand Prix CSI 3* during GLEF I, Driscoll was determined to take home a win. “I was a bit of a bridesmaid last week so I was hungry for this win,” she continued. “It feels good to get it this week.”
Driscoll hopes to keep campaigning Magnolia at the CSI2* level for the next two weeks in Traverse City before heading to Europe. “We love Traverse City,” she said. “It’s a staple destination for us in the summer. It’s fantastic to come to the horse shows; they’re run very well, the weather is fantastic, and the town here is lovely.”
International athletes return for the $72,800 NetJets Grand Prix CSI 2* Sunday afternoon as national athletes contend for $30,000 in the Traverse City National Grand Prix Saturday.
Final Results: $37,000 Honor Hill Farm Welcome Stake CSI 2*
1) Cathleen Driscoll (USA) & Magnolia: 2012 KWPN mare by Mylord Carthago x Van Gogh, Plain Bay Sales – 0 / 0 – 35.03
2) Shawn Casady (USA) & RMF Chacco Top: 2009 HANN stallion by Chacco Blue x Graf Top, Ashland Farms: 0/0/36.85
3) Anna Wilks (CAN) & Ma Pomme de Tamerville: 2012 BWP mare by Deauville Van T&L x Contendro I, IN Showjumpers – 0 / 0 – 37.27
4) Mavis Spencer (USA) & Con Calle: 2009 Holst gelding by Contendro II x Cassini II, Georgy Maskrey-Segesman – 0 / 0 – 38.68
5. Margie Engle (USA) & Aston des Etisses: 2010 SF gelding by Mylord Carthago x Quidam De Revel: Gladewinds Partners, LLC – 0 / 4 – 37.57
6) Samantha Schaefer (USA) & Frasier: 2010 KWPN gelding by Carambole x Padinus, Bonne Vie LLC- 1 – 77.54
7) Tanner Korotkin (USA) & Ideal: 2012 SWB gelding by Cardento x Cortez, Castlewood Farm Inc. & Sandalwood Farms – 1 – 77.85
8) Rachel Lindsey (USA) & Comander 16: 2011 OS gelding by Coup De Coeur x Lupicor, Rachel Lindsey – 2 – 78.26
9) Alexandra Smith (USA) & Fabregas: 2010 KWPN gelding by Zambesi TN x Nairo, Ashland Farms – 2 – 78.39
10) Mimi Gochman (USA) & Celina BH: 2010 HOLST mare by Canstakko x Carthago Z, Gochman Sport Horse LLC – 4 – 72.35
11) Stella Wasserman (USA) & Eldorado WP Z: 2012 ZANG gelding by Eldorado VD Zeshoek x Calvados, Stella Wasserman – 4 – 73.43
12) Margie Engle (USA) & Cesna M: 2012 OS gelding by Check In x Sandro Boy, Virginia Bartholomay – 4 – 73.69
Source: Press Release from Traverse City Horse Shows
Photos: © Andrew Ryback Photography