Traverse City, Michigan – June 12, 2022 – Margie Engle (USA) is an avid poker player, but her luck lately has been better in the Turtle Creek Casino & Hotel International Ring than in the poker room. After winning the $37,000 Limitless Performance Speed CSI 3* last Thursday during Traverse City Horse Shows (TCHS) Spring I, Engle and the Gladwinds Partners, LLC, entry Dicas brought their A game back to top the $138,600 Turtle Creek Casino & Hotel Grand Prix CSI 3* Sunday afternoon.
The inaugural grand prix of the 2022 season was built for the occasion, but riders rose to the challenge, with seven entries jumping clear over the first-round track, set by 2016 Olympic course designer Guilherme Jorge (BRA), including Engle on both her mounts.
Of the field of seven jump-off contenders, the pace just kept getting quicker as Gabriela Reutter (CHI), Freddie Vazquez (PUR), and Engle shaved precious seconds off the clock to claim the lead. Engle’s pressure got the best of most of the remaining pairs, and she was not able to catch her own leading time aboard her second mount, Jackofhearts, who placed fourth.
Freddie Vazquez (PUR) and Kircshwasser SCF claimed second place in a jump-off time of 42.38 seconds.
Gabriela Reutter (CHI) and Maharees Rock, owned by Lumiere Horses Inc., placed third in a time of 43.09 seconds.
“[Dicas] is just a good horse,” Engle said of the 2009 Rhinelander gelding (Diarado x Cassini I). “He has a wonderful heart. He’s a big horse but he’s like a puppy dog. He wants to crawl in your lap. He knows he’s big and when I go to put his bridle on he puts his head so low I don’t know if he’s making fun of me or trying to help. He doesn’t ride like a big horse; he’s very handy for as tall as he is. And he’s got a wonderful attitude.”
Though TCHS Spring I was Dicas’s week to shine, Engle also has younger mounts in the works that had a stellar week of competition. Cesna M placed third in the $37,000 Limitless Performance CSI 3*peed, both horses jumped clear in the $37,000 Welcome Stake CSI 3*, and Jackofhearts jumped to fourth in Sunday’s class. “ It was ‘Jack’s’ first CSI 3* Grand Prix and he was double clean. He’s really trying hard. Cesna is moving up and was third in the ranking class [Thursday], so he’s really stepping up. I’m trying to bring them along and get them to the top level. Hopefully I can take some pressure off my two that have gone for a while.”
While 17-year-old Royce has been Engle’s long-time top mount, Dicas is stepping up to share that coveted role quickly as he moves up in the ranks. “They’re both really dependable and you feel comfortable getting on both of them,” Engle remarked on her two rides. “When you walk the course there’s nothing they can’t jump. They have big hearts and they give everything they have when they walk into the ring. It’s a great feeling to have two nice horses like that to depend on.”
“It’s great having the Turtle Creek Casino so close, as well as all the restaurants that it has to offer,” she remarked on the fabulous venue just down the road. “The whole town of Traverse City is lovely.”
Until her next appearance at the Turtle Creek Casino, you can catch Engle playing poker with friends at the horse show and continuing to rack up placings and prize money throughout the spring and summer seasons at TCHS.
Final Results: $138,600 Turtle Creek Casino & Hotel CSI3* Grand Prix
1. Margie Engle (USA) & Dicas: 2009 Rhinelander gelding by Diarado x Cassini I, Gladewinds Partners, LLC: 0/0/41.98
2. Freddie Vazquez (PUR)) & Kirschwasser SCF: 2010 Belgian Warmblood gelding by Amaretto D’Arco x Nabab De Reve, Freddie Vazquez: 0/0/42.38
3. Gabriela Reutter (CHI) & Maharees Rock: 2010 Irish Sport Horse mare by OBOS Quality x Ballysimon, Lumiere Horses Inc: 0/0/43.09
4. Margie Engle (USA) & JackofHearts: 2012 Danish Warmblood gelding by Toulon x Baloubet Du Rouet, Gladewinds Partners, LLC: 0/0/43.54
5. Peter Lutz (USA) & Hollerno: 2012 Dutch Warmblood gelding by Baltic VDL x Ahorn, Lutz/Manfredi Show Jumping LLC: 0/0/43.76
6. Giavanna Rinaldi (USA) & Primo Toy: 2009 Irish Sport Horse gelding by Clinton x VDL Arkansas, Itasca Group LLC: 0/4/41.71
7. Andrew Welles (USA) & Idol H&H: 2013 Dutch Warmblood gelding by Action-Breaker x Glennridge, Evergreen Stables, LLC: 0/4/44.15
8. Jonathan McCrea (USA) & Fantasy BB: 2010 Dutch Warmblood mare by Cardento x Labor’s VDL Indorado, Windsor Show Stables: 4/80.77
9. Michael Morrissey (USA) & Dior P Z: 2011 Zangersheide gelding by Diarado x Havidoff, Stephen Macken: 4/82.60
10. Christine McCrea (USA) & Julieta: 2010 Holsteiner mare by Canstakko x Casall, Windsor Show Stables:
11. Sandra Dalman (USA) & Haitie: 2012 Dutch Warmblood gelding by Cayado 3 x Cassini II, Dalman Show Jumping: 4/85.08
12. Michael Morrissey (USA) & Massimo: 2012 Belgian Warmblood gelding by Otangelo x Electro, Imperial Show Stables: 8/83.81
Source: Press Release by Traverse City Horse Shows
Photos: © Ryback Photography
Categories: CSI 3*