Washington, D.C – April 01, 2022 – The Washington International Horse Show (WIHS) presented by MARS EquestrianTM will return to the Washington, D.C., area October 24-30, 2022, as a newly approved FEI Five-Star Event, with an expanded schedule, an additional day of competition, and increased prize money.
A prestigious event on the international equestrian calendar since 1958, WIHS highlights will include the $406,000 Longines FEI Jumping World Cup™ Washington CSI5*-W for the President’s Cup, a qualifying event for the FEI Jumping World Cup™ Finals, the WIHS Equitation Finals for top qualified juniors, WIHS Children’s and Adult Championships, the $25,000 Puissance high jump, top hunters, plus special events, exhibitions, and entertainment.
“I have been proud to support the Washington International Horse Show each year and their commitment to improving the sport,” said Stacia Klein, a leading trainer specializing in equitation and known for developing young jumping talent.
“We have had seven students win the WIHS Equitation Final over the years, and it’s always a staple on our annual show calendar! I am continuously impressed by their dedication to the exhibitor experience and making improvements year after year, no matter the venue. Our entire team is looking forward to the show’s return to Washington D.C., with new improvements being made to The Show Place Arena. We can’t wait to see what they have in store this year!”
Following two years in North Carolina where WIHS relocated to Tryon International Equestrian Center as a result of the Coronavirus pandemic, the 64th edition of the historic competition will debut this year with many improvements at The Show Place Arena at Prince George’s Equestrian Center (PGEC) in Upper Marlboro, Md.
WIHS will partner with the popular National Harbor waterfront complex in nearby Oxon Hill, Md., to create a WIHS Hotel and Hospitality Campus offering exhibitors, spectators, and sponsors special access to top lodging, entertainment, and community events.
WIHS Highlights: Monday-Sunday, October 24-30, 2022
New FEI 5* Status and USEF AA Rating
• $868,000 in total prize money
• $406,000 Longines FEI Jumping World CupTM Washington for the President’s Cup with AA ranking points
New Expanded Schedule
• Show will start on Monday expanding from six to seven days
• Daily competition on Monday-Sunday with evening classes on Thursday, Friday, and Saturday allowing for a more exhibitor-friendly schedule
Horse-Friendly Venue With Major Upgrades
• The Show Place Arena surface replaced with FEI-approved footing
• New all-weather footing in several schooling arenas
• Dedicated FEI complex with schooling
• Access to multiple areas for schooling, longeing, plus a ticketed warm up
• Welcome Gala at National Harbor Wednesday evening
• Exhibitors’ Lounge with arena view
• VIP Club tables offering breakfast, lunch, and dinner
Accommodation and Entertainment
• WIHS Hospitality Campus at National Harbor
• Reduced rates at Gaylord National Resort
• Lower cost for stabling
• Discounts at National Harbor restaurants, shopping, and Capital Wheel waterfront Ferris wheel
• Shuttle service to/from National Harbor to The Show Place Arena for exhibitors
• Expect the return of the wildly fun WIHS Shetland Pony Steeplechase races
• Thursday: WIHS Barn Night with new contests and prizes, $75,000 Welcome Stake, $37,000 Accumulator Costume Class
• Friday: Military Night, $75,000 Speed Final, $25,000 Puissance
• Saturday: World Cup Night, WIHS Equitation Finals, $406,000 Longines FEI Jumping World CupTM Washington CSI5*-W for the President’s Cup
• Halloween Pony Hunt Teams, plus favorite vendors, historical exhibits, and special events
2022 WIHS Competition at The Show Place Arena
• Hunter: Professional, Junior, Amateur, and Pony Hunter
• Jumper: FEI, Low, Medium, and High Junior Amateur Jumper Divisions, $406,000 Longines FEI Jumping World Cup™ Washington CSI5*-W for the President’s Cup
• Equitation: WIHS Equitation and Pony Equitation Finals
• WIHS Children’s and Adult Hunter and Jumper Championships
• 2022 Show Schedule
• WIHS Membership is required to earn points for WIHS Equitation Finals and WIHS Children’s and Adult Hunter and Jumper Championships. Qualifying period: September 1, 2021-August 31, 2022. Learn more and join today
• Learn more about National Harbor
Look for detailed class schedule and updates for exhibitors, families, and spectators, health guidelines, and hospitality for WIHS coming soon.
About Washington International Horse Show
Established in 1958, the Washington International Horse Show is one of North America’s most prestigious, competitive, and entertaining equestrian events with competition for international, professional, amateur, junior and child riders. Highlights include the $406,000 Longines FEI Jumping World Cup™ Washington for the President’s Cup, and the WIHS Equitation Finals and Children’s and Adult Hunter and Jumper Championships, plus popular community, and charity events, like Kids’ Day and barn Night. WIHS, an official USEF Heritage Competition, is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit charitable organization. For more information, visit wihs.org.
Source: Press Release from Jump Media llc for WIHS – Washington International Horse Show
Photos: © Impact Media / National Harbor