Wilmington, Ohio – October 17, 2021 – Ireland’s Kevin McCarthy (IRL) and his own Catch a Star HSS (Sheraton x Tolinda) bested the class of eighteen entries to win the $10,000 Futures Prix 1.30m. This duo has received top Futures Prix honors now two weeks in a row. We welcomed them back tonight for the $10,000 Futures Prix 1.30 m. McCarthy was first in the order of go, where they set the pace for the class. This course saw a time allowed of 78 seconds, which McCarthy (IRL) and Catch a Star HSS were well under with just 73 seconds in the first round. The Swedish Warmblood mare jumped clear and returned for the jump-off, which they finished in a lightning-fast 29.356 seconds.
We caught up with Kevin after the class and here’s what he had to say about his winning ride: “My mare has been jumping very consistent, so I am happy with that. Being first to go is sometimes the worst spot to be in, but I gave it my all because I knew I had many competitive riders to go after me. I was delighted when they told me to get my horse for the win picture! All and all it was an excellent evening and love the shows here at WEC! “
Next in the order of placings was Lisa Goldman-Smolen (USA) and Bengtsson VDL (Bubalu x Indoctro). This impressive team won Thursday’s $15,000 WEC Welcome Prix. We were excited to see them return and they did not disappoint crowds. Goldman-Smolen (USA) and the ten-year-old KWPN gelding had spectators gripping their seats as they finished the short course only 0.31 seconds behind tonight’s winner. Their first go-around was the fastest in the class and was fault-free in only 70.04 seconds. They crossed the timers clear in the jump-off at 29.667 seconds, earning Lisa second place.
Rounding out the top three were Richard L. Rinehart (USA) and Vincent. The pair never touched a rail, delivering a clean first round in a time of 75.396 seconds. They continued into the jump-off, jumping a second clear round in a blazing fast 30.277 seconds.
Final Results – $10,000 World Equestrian Center Futures Prix
1) Kevin McCarthy (IRL) & Catch a Star HSS – 0 / 0 – 29.356
2) Lisa Goldman-Smolen (USA) & Bengtsson VDL – 0 / 0 – 29.667
3) Richard Rinehart (USA) & Vincent – 0 / 0 – 30.277
4) Lisa Goldman-Smolen (USA) & Ivaro N – 0 / 0 – 31.526
5) Ella Mauritzson (USA) & Ulysse Du Bourberg – 0 / 0 – 34.725
6) Alliy Moyer (USA) & Galway Bay Pandora – 0 / 4 – 31.903
7) Lani Hutchison (USA) & Iconic – 0 / 4 – 34.240
8) Melissa M. Lesch (USA) & Emil Du Coeur D’or Z – 1 / 78.194
9) Alliy Moyer (USA) & Cicero’s Electric – 1 / 78.44
10) Hanna R. Egan (USA) & Eastpoint JB – 1 / 78.84
Source: Press Release from WEC – World Equestrian Center
Photo: © Winslow Photography