Thermal, California, USA – May 31, 2021 – After a record-breaking 2020/2021 season that presented safe and thrilling competition to riders from hunter/jumper, equitation, and dressage disciplines, Desert International Horse Park (DIHP) is excited to announce its preliminary schedule for the 2021/2022 season with eighteen weeks of competition planned.
Highlighted by an eight-week FEI show jumping program, multiple weeks of FEI World Cup™ Final qualifying dressage, and events celebrating hunters at every level, DIHP is primed for the coming season to be another overwhelming success. In preparation, work is nearing completion on a multi-million dollar investment in state-of-the-art footing and an all-new grass competition field at the facility.
Furthering its commitment to elevating the level of sport on the West Coast, DIHP has joined the highly anticipated Major League Show Jumping series and will offer two CSI5* events in December during the two weeks of Desert Holiday Series. The two events – which also include CSI2* offerings – will showcase innovative and exciting team competition, while debuting FEI five-star action in the desert.
“We are really excited about starting our third season. With many of our infrastructure improvements completed last year, the focus of construction this summer is improvements for horses and riders, including new footing for the Grand Prix Arena, an exciting new grass competition field, an additional schooling ring, and a greatly expanded bridle path,” said DIHP President and CEO Steve Hankin. “We are looking forward to the upcoming season being a true celebration of sport with multi-discipline competition spanning all levels. We can’t wait to welcome hunter, jumper, and dressage athletes back to the desert and to be a part of the new Major League Show Jumping series as its finale event.”
The hunter/jumper season schedule includes three major circuits – the two-week National Sunshine Series, the second year of Desert Holiday Series which will be two weeks this year, and the eight-week Desert Circuit. Both the National Sunshine Series and Desert Circuit will be preceded by two-week prep series.
Desert Circuit Highlights Include:
January – March
- Five weeks of FEI, including a CSI4*
- Three USHJA International Hunter Derbies
- USHJA Hunter Spectacular
- Ronnie Mutch Equitation Classic
- Two WCHR Weeks (pending approval)
- NAYC Zone 10 Qualifying Event
- USHJA Gold Star Clinic (held during Desert Circuit Prep II)
Desert Holiday Highlights Include:
- Host to Major League Show Jumping season finale
- USHJA International Hunter Derby
- WCHR Week during the second week of Desert Holiday (pending approval)
Major League Show Jumping Highlights Include:
- Eight teams featuring Olympic gold medalists and up-and-coming stars in thrilling head-to-head competition
- Debut of CSI5* competition at DIHP, with the Finale on the new grass field
- Two weeks of CSI2* events
National Sunshine Series Highlights Include:
October | November
- Unveiling of new grass competition field developed by 2018 FEI World Equestrian Games course designer Alan Wade
- CSI3* during National Sunshine I
- Regional USHJA International Hunter Derby Championship
- NCEA Western Region Finals
- CPHA Style of Riding Finals
Desert Dressage Highlights Include:
October | November | February
- Dressage in the desert!
- Two CDI-W FEI World Cup™ Final qualifying events
- National dressage offerings during winter season
Mark your calendars and spend the 2021/2022 competition season at DIHP! Official prize lists and entry information will be released this summer. Keep up to date with the news and updates on the National Sunshine Series and Major League Show Jumping events at the Desert International Horse Park by visiting Deserthorsepark.com.
Source: Press Release from DIHP – Desert International Horse Park
Photo: © ESI Photography